I learned some little nuggets during my sabbatical. I hope you gain something from them.
1. When my pain is all I see, I lose sight of where God is in that pain.
2. I was created to be loved.
3. God chooses to listen. He loves to see my relationships through my eyes.
4. To see Jesus is to see man and God as one.
5. I am in the center of God’s love and purpose.
6. God can do unspeakable good out of unspeakable tragedies, but that doesn’t mean He orchestrates the tragedies.
7. Look around, Aisha. You need to enjoy the journey.
8. Even the “evil doers” are God’s children, and He’d like to redeem them too. The moment you condemn them to hell, is the moment you become the judge. You do not determine someone else’s worthiness in Christ.
9. Every act of kindness matters.
10. It doesn’t matter what you’re going through. You don’t ever have to do it alone.
11. You can’t wait for things to level out. You have to take each day as it comes. Every single day you unproductively wait for what you know what is to come is a day that you miss out on being productive. FIGHT. Sometimes that means cleaning your bathroom, doing your hair, going for a 2 mile run. Sometimes, oftentimes, it means giving a little bit more than you have to be okay.
12. Live by design not by default. Don’t ever get so egotistical in believing that you have control of your trajectory. If you judge things as “beneath you”, then you’re living by default, but if you walk into a place you can’t stand and do your work to the glory of the Lord every single day, then you are living by Design. It’s not about where you are physically. It’s where you are spiritually. Stand with Christ. Run with Him.
13. Withholding your presence cause you’re uncomfortable or something is new negatively impacts the environment. It’s selfish to not be out in the world fellowshipping.
14. How can you make your life more about someone else?
15. Life can be mending or messy. Take your pick.
16. God knows you better than you know yourself, and because He knows what you’re called to do, He’s giving you things that will strengthen your faith, courage, endurance/stamina, and spirit. But, they’re still for other people!
17. Life is happening for me.
18. You’re not going out into the world as a teacher. You’re going out as a student. That’s what a disciple is. You’re going out saying, “Hey I learned this, what’d you learn?” And you’re comparing notes. You’re not the expert. You’re not going out as the Lord.
19. Jesus tells you to go out and be a servant. That’s how you win people to Jesus. Not by manipulation or anything you could say or do. It’s by being a humble servant.
20. They lied. No relationship is 50-50. Some might feel like that, but if closely examined, you’ll see it’s 49-51 or vice versa. Sometimes relationships are 80-20, but you gotta be okay with that. Cause if you go into every relationship, friendship, or being an associate and say, “I get to do x, y, and z” then that changes your perspective and you don’t care what you get out of the relationship because you’re walking in it with the heart of Him who came before you.
21. Every struggle is a humbling experience. Don’t let your pride get in the way of making you believe you’ve got everything on your own.
22. Asking for help and actually positively receiving that help will be two different things.
23. Who were you before the fall?
24. “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.” Hebrews 10:23