This month is coming to a close, but me oh my, have I learned quite a bit about where I’ve been. Slowly yet surely, I can see where I’m going, and it’s oddly bright and filled with singing. Here’s what I learned:
1. Don’t put anyone on a pedestal.
2. You are never alone.
3. Aaron Burr was wrong. Talk more. Laugh loud.
4. Be less about “I” and “me” and more about “us” and “we”.
5. Get over it.
6. Change. You’re too young to be so rigid.
7. Fun is a thing you have. It cannot be calculated or analyzed.
8. Get to know who you are first.
9. Who cares what they think!
10. Do not respond to every reaction.
11. Give yourself room to be angry.
12. Change requires a lot of work, but it’s worth it.
13. Good friendships are hard to come by. Apply 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 to a new one.
14. Dude, just sing. You sing all day every day. The song ain’t end cause you’re in public.
15. Never again will you dull your shine, intelligence, affection, honesty, or loudness because someone else is uncomfortable.
16. Every day is a gift.
17. Love is revolutionary, and it comes in all forms–laughs, shared experiences, songs, dances, smiles, correction, and acceptance.
18. You don’t have to be good at something to love it.
19. Put. Your. Shoes. On. And. Go. RUN!
20. Joy is something that remains. Choose happiness.
21. Give people room to be who they are.
22. Fight for your students and their education.
23. Take a new perspective that doesn’t begin with I or me.
24. You have not cause you ask not.
25. If you say no now, you won’t have to apologize later.
26. Some people just care. They just meet you and love you, and I know it weirds you out, but please let them love you.
27. You teach people how to respond to you.
28. It’s okay to laugh guilt-free again, Esh.
29. You’re a hugger, and everyone knows it.
30. You can’t be right all the time. Take the criticism cause it’s coming from a loving place.
31. Grow up, bebe.